بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
· To get rid of NAJAASAT HUKMIYYAH by making use of clean earth or clay in a special way is called TAYAMMUM.
· TAYAMMUM is permitted when water is not available or when the use of water is injurious to health.
TAYAMMUM is PERMITTED
in the following cases:
1. When water is not available within a radius of approximately one comma seven kilometers (1,7 km)
2. When there is fear of an enemy or a dangerous animal or a snake near the water.
3. When the water is so little that there is fear of thirst should the water be used up for Wudhu or GHUSL.
4. When there is no rope or bucket to draw water from a well.
5. When it is known by one's own experience or a good doctor says that the use of water would definitely be injurious to one’s health.
6. When one does not have sufficient amount to pay for water which is being sold.
7. Or if water is sold at a very ridiculous price.
8. When one is at a place where there is No water but is told or he himself guesses that water is available within (1,7) km. Then it will be necessary to get water and do Wudhu.
9. But if there is no one to tell and there is no trace of water or is believed that it is a (1, 7) or more away then it is not necessary to get water. Now TAYAMMUM is permissible for Wudhu.
10. If so little water is available that a person can only carry out the four Faraaiz of Wudhu, then TAYAMMUM is not permissible.
11. If some thing NAJIS had fallen on the ground or sand etc. It is not permissible to use that earth for TAYAMMUM even if it dries up.
· But Salaat on that place is permissible after it has become dry.
12. If there is very little water and one is in need of GHUSL or Wudhu and his clothes and body is also NAJIS (Napaak) what should one do.
· First, one should wash off the NAJAASAT from one’s body and clothes.
· Then do TAYAMMUM.
FaraaiZ (Compulsory Acts of Tayammum)
THERE ARE THREE FARAA’IZ IN TAYAMMUM:
1. NIYYAH (Intention).
2. Striking both hands on earth and rubbing them on the face.
3. Striking both hands on earth and rubbing both forearms including the elbows.
Masnoon way of Tayammum
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
And make NIYYAH:
For GHUSL one should make the intention:
“I am making TAYAMMUM for GHUSL”.
For WUDHU one should make the intention:
“I am making TAYAMMUM for Wudhu”.
Make NIYYAH or intention in the following way:
“O Allah, I am making TAYAMMUM for Wudhu or GHUSL, to perform my Salaat or recite the QUR'AN etc."
Strike both hands on clean earth or dust.
Then dust the hands and blow off the excess dust or earth on the hands.
· Rub both the hands over the complete face without leaving a hair’s. Breadths of space.
Strike both hands again on the ground.
Then dust the hands and blow off the excess dust.
· Rub the left hand over the complete right hand including the elbow.
· Rub the right hand over the complete left hand including the elbow.
· Then do KHILAAL of fingers. If one is wearing a ring it is necessary to remove it or at least revolve it.
It is SUNNAH to do KHILAAL of the beard also.
TAYAMMUM IS ALLOWED FOR BOTH WUDHU AND GHUSL.
ITEMS ON WHICH TAYAMMUM IS PERMITTED
1. TAAHIR earth
4. Lime stone
5. Baked earthen pots (unglazed)
6. Walls of mud, stone or brick
8. All items which have thick dust on them.
ITEMS ON WHICH TAYAMMUM IS
4. Food items
5. All items which burn to ash, rot or melt, TAYAMMUM is not allowed.
· Things on which TAYAMMUM is allowed need not be covered with dust.
· If there is a stone, brick or clay pot; it can be used for TAYAMMUM even after it was washed clean and has no dust upon it.
· TAYAMMUM is permissible if one is on the point of missing the
· JANAAZAH Salaat,
· Or EIDAIN Salaat.
· It will not be necessary to repeat the Salaat already performed should water be found after the Salaat.
· The duration of TAYAMMUM is as long as water is not available or the helplessness continues. This can last for years.
NAWAQIS (Breakers of taYAMMUM)
Things Which Break WUDHU also break TAYAMMUM.
TAYAMMUM for GHUSL breaks only after HADAS AKBAR.
TAYAMMUM done when water is not found breaks when water is found.
TAYAMMUM done due to a disease breaks when one is cured from that disease.
One can perform any number of Salaat by one TAYAMMUM as long as it does not break.
TAYAMMUM done for FARZ Salaat will hold good for NAFIL, for reading the holy Qur'an, JANAAZAH Salaat, SAJDAH TILAAWAT and for all other kinds of Salaat.
MASAH ON THE KHUFFAIN (Socks)
KHUFFAIN are a special type of socks. Instead of washing the feet during Wudhu, it is permissible to pass moist hands over such socks. This is known as "MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN".
THE CONDITIONS FOR MASAH
1. The socks must be strong enough to enable walking in them on roads for approximately three miles without the socks tearing.
2. The socks should remain in position (covering the foreleg) without being tied. They should not slip. Socks which have elastic sewn into them (to keep them in position) will be regarded as being tied.
3. Water must not be able to seep through.
4. The socks must not be transparent or even semi‑transparent.
· If any one of the four conditions is lacking, MASAH on such socks will not be permissible.
· KHUFFAIN on which MASAH is made are generally made of leather. The type of socks ‑ woolen, nylon, etc., generally worn nowadays are not classified as "KHUFFAIN". It is, therefore, not permissible to make MASAH on them. If socks are made of a, material other than leather and the above mentioned four requirements are met, MASAH will be permissible on them.
· For the MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN to be valid it is essential to put on the KHUFFAIN after complete Wudhu has been made.
· If the KHUFFAIN have been put on before a complete WUDHU has been made, MASAH on them will not be permissible. Firstly, a complete Wudhu has to be made, then only should the KHUFFAIN be put on. Thereafter if Wudhu breaks, it will be permissible to make MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN without washing the feet when Wudhu is being made.
· For a MUQEEM (one who is not a traveler-MUSAAFIR) MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN is valid for a period of 24 hours. For a MUSAAFIR the period permissible is 72 hours.
· The period of 24 or 72 hours will be reckoned from the time the Wudhu (after which the KHUFFAIN were put on) breaks, not from the time the KHUFFAIN were put on. For example, a MUQEEM makes Wudhu at 6 p.m. and after completing his Wudhu he puts on KHUFFAIN. At 8 p.m. His Wudhu breaks. Twenty‑four hours will be reckoned from 8 p.m. Hence, it will be permissible for him to make MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN each time he takes Wudhu until 8 p.m. the next day.
· Upon expiration of 24 hours, MASAH 'ALAL KHUFFAIN will no longer be valid. When the period of (24 hours for the MUQEEM and 72 hours for the MUSAAFIR) expires, the KHUFFAIN should be removed and the FEET washed. It is not necessary to renew the WUDHU.
THE METHOD OF
1. Draw the fingers of the right hand on the upper surface of the KHUFFAIN starting from the toes and ending (the MASAH) at the foreleg (just above the ankle). The MASAH should be done once only on each sock. The right hand should be used for the right KHUFF and the left hand for the left KHUFF.
2. If the back of the hand was used to make the MASAH, it will be valid. However, one should not unnecessarily depart from the correct Sunnah method.
3. It is not permissible to make MASAH on the side or at the under surface of the KHUFFAIN. It Is FARZ to make MASAH on each sock to the extent of three full fingers, i.e., the full surface area of three fingers must be drawn from the toes to the foreleg.
· The following acts will nullify the MASAH which was made on the KHUFFAIN:
1. All things which nullify Wudhu.
2. Removal of the KHUFF (sock).
3. The expiration of the period, i.e., 24 hours for the MUQEEM and 72 hours for the MUSAAFIR.
· If only one sock was removed then, too, It is WAAJIB to remove the other one and wash both feet.
· Even if only the foreleg Is exposed by lowering the KHUFF, it will be regarded as if the whole sock has been removed. It will then be COMPULSORY to remove the KHUFFAIN and wash both feet.
1. It is not permissible to make MASAH on a KHUFF which Is torn to such an extent that an area equal to the size of three small toes is exposed. It is permissible to make MASAH on the sock if it is torn less than this.
2. If the seam of the KHUFF comes loose but while walking the foot is not exposed, MASAH on such KHUFFAIN will be valid.
3. If a MUQEEM who has made MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN goes on a journey before the expiration of 24 hours, then his MASAH may be extended to 72 hours. His MASAH will now be valid for 72 hours.
4. If a MUSAAFIR who has made MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN returns to his home town then his MASAH will be valid for only 24 hours.
4. It is permissible to make MASAH on ordinary woolen, etc., socks which have been covered with leather.
6. If Ghusl becomes compulsory then MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN will not be permissible even if the valid period has not yet expired. The KHUFFAIN must be removed when 'the Ghusl is taken and the feet washed.
7. If after making MASAH one sets foot in a puddle of water and water enters the KHUFF wetting more than half the foot, then MASAH will be nullified. Both KHUFFAIN must be removed and the feet washed.
1. What is TAYAMMUM?
2. Give seven reasons when TAYAMMUM is permitted.
3. When something NAJIS had fallen on the ground, can we read Salaat on that ground or make TAYAMMUM when the ground has become dry?
4. It is time for Salaat and there is very little water: one’s clothes and body are NAJIS and is in need of GHUSL or Wudhu. What should one do?
5. Name the compulsory acts of TAYAMMUM?
6. Explain in detail and in correct order The Masnoon way of TAYAMMUM?
7. Should one do KHILAAL of fingers and beard while performing TAYAMMUM?
8. To do KHILAAL of fingers and beard is what during TAYAMMUM?
9. Is TAYAMMUM allowed for Wudhu or GHUSL?
10. Name eight items on which TAYAMMUM is permitted?
11. Name five items on which TAYAMMUM is not permitted?
12. Explain how to do the KHILAAL of beard and fingers?
13. Is it necessary for items to be covered with dust for TAYAMMUM? Give reasons for your answer.
14. Can a stone, brick or clay pot be used even though it has been washed and Free from dust?
15. At which two Salaat is TAYAMMUM permissible if one is about missing?
16. Name two Salaat for which there is no QAZAA?
17. In the event of water being found after Salaat being performed, will it be necessary to repeat the said Salaat?
18. What is the duration of TAYAMMUM?
19. What are the breakers of TAYAMMUM?
20. When does TAYAMMUM for GHUSL break?
21. Can the performance of one TAYAMMUM be valid for any number of Salaat?
22. Explain the word "KHUFFAIN".
23. What is MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN?
24. Mention the four conditions of MASAH?
25. What will happen if a condition is lacking?
26. Is it permissible to make MASAH on nylon or woolen socks?
27. What is essential for the MASAH to be valid?
28. Will MASAH be permissible if the KHUFFAIN have been put on after an incomplete Wudhu?
29. What is the period of MASAH for a MUSAAFIR?
30. For what period can a MUQEEM make MASAH?
31. From when will the period of 24 or 72 hours be calculated?
32. What will happen upon the expiration of this period?
33. What should be done upon the expiration of this period? Is it necessary to renew the entire Wudhu?
34. What is the method of MASAH 'ALAL-KHUFFAIN?