بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
JUMU'AH (Friday) SALAAT
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْمِ~
ياَيُّهَا الذِّيْنَ امَنُوْا اِذَا نُوْدِيَ لِلصَّلوةِ مِنْ يَّوْمِ
الْجُمُعَةِ فَاسْعَوْا اِلى ذِكْرِ اللهِ وَذَرُوا الْبَيْعَ ~ ذلِكُمْ
خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ اِنْ كُنْتُمْ تَعْلَمُوْنَ ~ فَاِذا قُضِيَتِ الصَّلوةُ
فَانْتَشِرُوْا فِيْ الاَرْضِ وَابْتَغُوْا مِنْ فَضْلِ اللهِ وَاذْكُرُوا
اللهَ كَثِيْرًا لَّعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُوْنَ ~
“O you who believe! When the call is made for Salaat on Friday then
hasten to the remembrance of Allah and leave off business. That
is better for you if you know, but when the Salaat is finished,
then disperse through the land and seek Allah's grace and remember
Allah often that you may be successful”. (Al-Qur'an; 62:9)
SUMMARY OF JUMU'AH SALAAT
JUMU'AH 14 RAK'AAT
which comes the Khutbah
Said in congregation
JUMU'AH Salaat are FARZ and more emphasis has been laid upon them
than on ZUHR. There are no ZUHR FARZ Salaat on Friday. The JUMU'AH
Salaat has been fixed in place of ZUHR Salaat.
JUMU'AH Salaat is FARZ on all free, major, Sane, healthy and MUQEEM
It is NOT FARZ upon minor children, slaves, mad, sick, blind persons,
traveler, women and those who have some valid excuse, e.g., fear
of an enemy or very heavy rain. They should say the ZUHR Salaat
THE CONDITIONS FOR SAYING
THE JUMU'AH SALAAT
1. The JUMU'AH Salaat should be in a city, big village or a town
like the city. It is not proper to say the JUMU'AH Salaat in a small
2. JUMU'AH should be performed at ZUHR time.
3. KHUTBAH (address by Imaam) should be delivered BEFORE the Salaat.
4. The Salaat should be said in JAMAA'AT.
5. IZN-UL-'AAM (permission to all to join in).
• If ALL these five conditions are found, the saying of the JUMU'AH
prayers will be correct.
THE MASNOON METHOD OF
Before the JUMU'AH Salaat, the Imaam should sit on the MIMBER, (the
raised platform in the mosque) and the MU'AZZIN, should call out
the AZAAN in the presence of the Imaam. The Imaam should then stand
up and deliver the KHUTBAH facing the congregation. It is MAKROOH
TAHREEMI to deliver the KHUTBAH in any language besides ARABIC.
After the first KHUTBAH, he should sit down for a while then stand
up again for the SECOND KHUTBAH. After this, the Imaam should step
down the MIMBAR and stand in front of the MIHRAAB or the ARCH. The
muezzin should say TAKBEER and those present should stand Up and
offer the Salaat with the Imaam.
The AZAAN for KHUTBAH should be said in front of the KHATEEB (one
who reads KHUTBAH) near the MIMBAR, or from the second or third
row of SALAATIS or at the end of the rows or from outside the mosque.
It is allowed in all the ways.
THINGS NOT ALLOWED
DURING THE KHUTBAH
2. Offering SUNNAH and NAFIL Salaat.
5. To replay to any talk.
6. Reciting the holy QUR'AN etc.
All those things which disturb KHUTBAH become MAKROOH from the minute
the Imaam prepares to deliver the KHUTBAH.
In JUMU'AH Salaat, it is compulsory to have at least three men besides
the Imaam to offer the Salaat, otherwise the JUMU'AH Salaat will
not be valid.
SALAAT OF EIDAIN
Things which are MUSTAHAB and SUNNAH on EID days.
1. To take a BATH and do MISWAAK.
2. To put on one’s BEST clothes.
3. To use ITR.
4. To take DATES or any other SWEETS before going for the EIDUL-FITR
5. To give SADQATUL-FITR before going for the EIDUL-FITR Salaat.
6. To perform the EID SALAAT at EIDGAH (a place fixed for EID SALAAT
outside the population.)
7. To go by FOOT.
8. To go by ONE ROUTE and RETURN by another.
9. Not to say NAFIL at home or in EIDGAH before and after EID SALAAT.
10. To EAT the MEAT of QURBANI (sacrifice) of one’s own offering,
after the EIDUL-AZHA Salaat.
On EIDUL-FITR one should say TAKBEER in a LOW VOICE while GOING
It is MUSTAHAB to say TAKBEER ALOUD while going for EIDUL-AZHA
• Both the Eid Salaats are WAAJIB upon all those on whom the JUMU'AH
Salaat is FARZ.
• The conditions for Eid Salaat are the same as those for JUMU'AH.
• But KHUTBAH is not FARZ for Eid Salaat nor is it FARZ to be said
before the Salaat.
• KHUTBAH after Salaat is SUNNAH.
• There are TWO RAK'AAT in each of the two Eid Salaat with SIX extra
• There Is no AZAAN or IQAAMAT.
HOW TO PERFORM THE EID SALAAT
• First of all the NIYYAH should be made like this:
"I am performing two RAK'AAT EIDUL-FITR (or EIDUL-AZHA) WAAJIB
with six extra TAKBEERS behind this Imaam, (ALLAHU-AKBAR)".
• Fold hands after TAKBEER TAHREEMAH and say THANA.
1. Then raising both hands up to the ears bring them down after
2. Do the same for the second time.
3. For the third time raise the hands up to the ears and saying
TAKBEER fold them below the navel.
• The Imaam should say TA'AWWUZ, TASMIAH and SURATUL-FATIHAH along
with an other SURAH and then go into RUKU'.
1. When all stand up for the second RAK'AT, the Imaam should recite
the QIRAAT and after that all should say TAKBEER and raise the hands
up to the ears and let them down,
2. And again the hands should be raised up to the ears for the second
TAKBEER and let down.
3. And for the third TAKBEER also the hands should be raised up
to the ears and let down.
4. And then saying the fourth TAKBEER, every one should go into
RUKU' and complete the Salaat as usual.
5. Then the Imaam should stand up and say KHUTBAH and all should
sit silently and hear the same.
6. There are two KHUTBAHS also for EIDAIN, and imam’s sitting for
a while in between the two is MASNOON.
7. It is WAAJIB to listen to the KHUTBAH of EIDAIN
SALAAT OF A SICK PERSON
A person is allowed to say his Salaat in the sitting position under
• When a sick person has no strength to stand and say his Salaat.
• Or standing gives him GREAT PAIN.
• Or it may INCREASE his illness.
• Or is able to stand but CANNOT GO into RUKU' or SAJDAH.
• If a person does NOT have the strength to make RUKU' or SAJDAH,
then RUKU' and SAJDAH must be made by ISHAARAH (gestures), i.e.
bending the head slightly for RUKU' and more for SAJDAH.
• If a person CANNOT perform his Salaat SITTING down, then he should
perform it LYING down.
• E.g. LIE down on the BACK WITH LEGS towards the QIBLAH.
The LEGS should not be STRETCHED but the KNEES should be raised.
The HEAD should rest at a HIGH LEVEL with a PILLOW under it.
• The SALAAT must be made by ISHAARAH (gestures), but for the SAJDAH
he should BEND his HEAD more than for RUKU'.
This is the BEST and MOST PREFERRED posture.
• If the KNEES CANNOT be raised then one can stretch his legs towards
the QIBLAH but the HEAD should be RAISED facing the QIBLAH.
• One may also lie down on the RIGHT side with the HEAD towards
the QIBLAH or on the LEFT side with the HEAD towards the QIBLAH.
But it is PREFERABLE to lie on the RIGHT side.
• If a person faints for LESS than FULL day and night, he MUST perform
the missed number of Salaat.
• But if he faints for a FULL day and night or MORE, he does not
have to perform the Salaat he missed. He is exempted from performing
them and there is no QAZAA.
• If the patient has no strength even to MOVE one’s HEAD for ISHAARAH
(gesture), then he should NOT perform the Salaat.
• If this condition continues for MORE than a day and night, one
will not be bound to perform QAZAA for the missed number of Salaat.
• But if WITHIN a day and night or in a LESSER period than that
one GAINS the strength of moving one’s HEAD for ISHAARAH (gesture)
then one will have to perform QAZAA for (the five Salaat or less)
that have been left.
Note: TAYAMMUM is PERMITTED when it is known by ones own experience
or a good doctor says that the use of water would DEFINITELY be
INJURIOUS to ones HEALTH.
• If a sick person’s bedding is NAJIS (impure) and changing it would
cause great inconvenience to the patient, then Salaat must be performed
on the same bedding.
• A PARALYSED person or one who is so sick that he cannot use water
for ISTINJA, should use toilet paper or something absorbent or dry
clay to clean himself.
• If he cannot do this even, he must say his Salaat without even
• One who has undergone eye surgery and is not allowed to shake
his head by the doctor must say his Salaat lying down.
• TAYAMMUM should be made if he cannot make WUDHU. If he cannot
do TAYAMMUM himself, he may be assisted.
THE SALAAT OF ISTIKHAARAH
When a person wishes to carry out some important work, guidance
should be sought from Allah Ta'ala. This seeking of guidance is
called ISTIKHAARAH. The holy Prophet () has mentioned that a person
who does not seek guidance from Allah Ta'ala and does not carry
out ISTIKHAARAH, is deprived of all good and is unfortunate. INSHA-ALLAH
there will be no regret if ISTIKHAARAH is made before accepting
a proposal for marriage, travel, important business or any other
METHOD OF SALAAT OF ISTIKHAARAH
Perform two Rak'aat NAFIL Salaat. Thereafter praise Allah by saying
اَلْحَمْدُ للهِ. Thereafter recite DUROOD upon Rasoolullah ():
اَللّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلى سَيِّدِنَا مُحَمَّدٍ وَّعَلى آلِ سَيِّدِنَا
مُحَمَّدٍ وَّبَارِكْ وَسَلِّمْ ط
Then recite the DUA of ISTIKHAARAH:
اَللّهُمَّ اِنِّي اَسْتَخِيْرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ وَاَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ
وَاَسْئَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيْمِ فَاِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلآ اَقْدِرُ
وَتَعْلَمُ وَلآ اَعْلَمُ وَاَنْتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُيُوْبِ اَللّهُمَّ
اِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ اَنَّ هذَا الاَمْرَ خَيْرٌ لِّيْ فِيْ دِيْنِيْ
وَمَعَاشِيْ وَعَاقِبَةِ اَمْرِيْ فَاقْدِرْهُ لِيْ وَيَسِّرْهُ لِيْ
ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِيْ فِيْهِ وَاِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ اَنَّ هذَا الاَمْرَ
شَرٌّ لِّيْ فِيْ دِيْنِيْ وَمَعَاشِيْ وَعَاقِبَةِ اَمْرِيْ فَاصْرِفْهُ
عَنِّيْ وَاصْرِفْنِيْ عَنْهُ وَاقْدِرْ لِيَ الْخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كَانَ
ثُمَّ اَرْضِنِيْ بِه ط
Upon reaching the underlined words, think of the reason and work
for which ISTIKHAARAH is being made. Thereafter sleep on a clean
bedding with Wudhu, facing the QIBLAH.
Upon awaking carry out that task on which the heart is firm. If
one cannot reach a solution on the first day, ISTIKHAARAH should
be continued until the seventh day. INSHA-ALLAH by this period the
doubt will be over.
For Hajj, one should not make ISTIKHAARAH like: "Should I perform
Hajj or not", rather ISTIKHAARAH should be made to determine
the time of travel for Hajj, e.g., "Should I travel for Hajj
on THAT day or not".
SALAAT OF TAUBAH (Pardon)
If a person has committed any sin, perform two RAK'AAT Salaat and
thereafter recite DUROOD upon Rasoolullah (). Be ashamed and regret
over the sin and seek Allah's pardon by a firm pledge saying:
"O Allah! I shall not commit this sin again. O Allah! Forgive
By the grace of Allah Ta'ala the sin will be forgiven.
1. What Should one ensure before Salaat?
2. Will the Salaat be correct if any garment is overlapping the
3. Is it necessary to make a verbal intention for Salaat?
4. Where should the eyes be fixed during QIYAAM?
5. Explain the difference between a male's and female's RUKU' and
6. Explain the difference in the sitting posture between a male
7. Explain in detail the procedure of the three WITR Waajib.
8. What is Salaat?
9. Mention the conditions of Salaat.
10. Outline the difference between a male's and female's SATR.
11. Draw and complete the Salaat chart.
12. Mention the times when it is forbidden to perform any Salaat.
13. Mention the prescribed time for each Salaat.
14. Mention the Farz, Waajibaat, 10 Sunnats, Mustahabbaat, 10 Makruhaat
and the Mufsidaat of Salaat.
15. Mention the times when it is Permissible, Waajib and Farz to
break one's Salaat.
16. How should one perform Qazaa of a number of Salaats missed?
17. When will a person become a MUSAAFIR (traveler) and how long
will one remain a MUSAAFIR?
18. For which Salaat should one make QASR?
19. Mention the conditions for the JUMU'AH Salaat.
20. Mention things not allowed during the KHUTBAH.
21. How should one perform the Eid Salaat?
22. When is it permissible to perform Salaat seated?
23. If one does not have the strength to make RUKU' or SAJDAH, what
should he do?
24. In the case of fainting, when is a person excused from performing
25. Can a sick person perform Salaat on a Napaak (unclean) bedding?